Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I'm Single, Yeah I know

So yeah, this was one I was debating writing about. Its true, I'm single. I got out of a... well I don't really think I'd call it a serious relationship, but it was a relationship a few months back. It still hurts a bit as most of these things tend to, I mean I had known her for years before we jumped into it and the old adage is usually "that great couple always started out as friends first". There would be times when I would sit there and smile and think, "Wow. This is going to be the one" as we'd both make crude jokes to one another, laughing our asses off sitting in a parking lot after a rock show. And for each of those instances there were definitely an equal amount of "What the fuck am I thinking with this???" but you know thats what relationships are. Its yet another example of this weird camp that people fall into when they are single in their mid 20's, those who are simply not ready/willing for a serious relationship, and those who are looking but can't seem to find what they are looking for.

Its rough for single folk out there a lot of the time, as people kind of give you this, "Holy shit, you're single?" look, like you have the plague. Of course it always stings a little when you see your friends are getting married or in these serious relationships and you're just the "eccentric goofball who hooks up with various girls on a regular basis". And thats something that worries me of course, the fact that I'm viewed as "the eccentric goofball" like through my jokes and creativity I kind of can't be taken seriously a lot of the time.
I'd be lying if I didn't say a big part of me working out and dieting to such an extreme degree wasn't over the fact that it will just make the process easier without having to put ridiculous degrees of effort into it, but of course, we all know that in relationships, its all about effort. Its about compromise and all that good crap.

In terms of settling down, I think we as a society have this weird mentality that it NEEDS to happen as early as possible, meanwhile the divorce rate in the country is what 40 percent? I mean a lot of my friends in college were these hardcore Christian kids which was just the weird group that I fell into, which had its good and bad qualities of course like everything. Most of them have just gotten married to the first girl they had "seriously dated" and went right out of the gates in their early 20s. I'm not going to go off on that and "poo-poo" someone for making that decision, if they felt that that was the right thing for them to do at the time, well then more power to them. Me on the other hand, shit. I had no idea who the fuck I was or what the fuck I wanted in my early 20s. Its about developing into the person you plan on being and finding someone who can fit into that mold.

So, for my fellow single people out there, I thought I would list a number of places that I have looked and been successful in meeting people.
1.) The Bars. This is kind of a weekly ritual for me and my friends. Go to a bar, have fun, drink, rinse, repeat. I've met a number of women through just being my usual witty self and the fact that I'm kind of easy to spot in a crowd tends to help me in that department. Its not really a place to meet "girlfriend material" but you know, bars are there to have fun.
2.) The Metro. This takes balls more than anything else but its just about starting up conversations with people who catch your eye and give you that "Oh well I'm not really paying attention, I'm reading this book about Women's Rights, but you know if you want to come over and talk for a bit, feel free to, kay?"
3.) Comedy Shows. Well this puts me in the spotlight a little bit more and of course this is always a good thing. This is also bad in the consideration that my "comedy persona" is a little out there. Its funny, I have a very Jekyll and Hyde thing going when it comes to comedy me vs regular me.
4.) Internet. Yeah I know, not exactly the most awesome place but it works sometimes and you get to meet a lot of great people.
So when you're feeling down about being single or something, don't be. There's millions of people out there in the exact same boat. Its just about finding that right one who makes you laugh, who will be there for you through thick and thin, who puts themselves on a completely different level than everyone else. Well regardless of who I marry in the future, at least they'll know they'll get a kick ass last name out of the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment